Sunday, July 11, 2010

the secret of happiness



turns out certain people are worried that naming my dining room the opium den might hurt my reputation. well how about the poppyseed lounge? hmm, this might take some time, so as i ponder more socially acceptable titles to help you understand my vision, here are some photos from last weekend's project. what do you think?



here's a little background on my inspiration for this room: those who know me can understand why i ended up choosing a different (but equally vibrant) color for each of my four walls. as seen in my daily wardrobe, i am intrigued by mixing together as many patterns and colors as i possibly can. and now that i have my own place, it's starting to show through in my home decor as well.



the circular wall hangings shown above were a diy birthday gift from my lovely baby sis and i am so happy i finally got them up on the walls. i decided to have them hanging down from the ceiling, so i secured a string of hemp across the entire middle wall, and then hung each fabric circle down from there at different heights. i didn't plan it out in advance, and should have probably thought about their placements, measured, and used a transparent thread, but i was impatient and just wanted to get them up.



PS: for those of you still worried about the negative connotations of the term opium den, here's what a little google searching uncovered to prove that the word can be used to describe a design style:

and i leave you with a quote (also found on my google search), which inspired the title of this post.
"i took it, and in an hour...an abyss of divine enjoyment suddenly revealed...here was the secret of happiness...at once discovered." -- thomas de quincey.

2 comments:

  1. It's looking really great!

    The opium den nickname is a funny one. Here's another opium den deco link for ya: http://decorno.blogspot.com/2010/04/nick-olsen-is-opium-addicted-chinese.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Did you just paint a flat colour or have you used some technique to get a slight texture?

    ReplyDelete

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: